Get Back to Your Life Faster By Participating in Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is completely normal to worry about an upcoming surgery. Perhaps you’re wondering how long the recovery period will be or how the surgery itself will go. Your post-surgical recovery will most likely consist of physical therapy treatments, in order to help relieve your pain and improve your function. But did you know you can participate in pre-surgical rehabilitation (also known as “pre-hab”), as a way to prepare your body for surgery and make your recovery period easier? To learn more about the many benefits of pre-hab, contact US Rehabilitation & Health Services in Ferndale, Dearborn, Ypsilanti, Dearborn Heights, and Southfield, MI today!
What exactly is pre-hab?
Pre-surgical rehabilitation can improve the overall outcomes of your surgical procedure. In fact, studies have shown that by participating in physical therapy treatments about a month before surgery, you can significantly decrease your recovery time. Pre-surgical rehabilitation also has mental benefits – it is no secret that surgery is scary, but pre-hab can help put your mind at ease by knowing you are doing everything possible for a smooth and successful surgery. Your pre-hab plan will provide you with everything you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your procedure.
What are the benefits of pre-hab?
There are a multitude of benefits that pre-surgical rehabilitation provides. The top 6 include:
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps you get back to your regular routine much easier and quicker than you would without.
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce your pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapy, exercise, or massage.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase your strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as your body is recovering. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing your stamina before the operation. In turn, this will make the recovery process much smoother since there will be less strength lost.
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If your muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their upcoming surgery.
If your pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing your pain and improving your function, you may save yourself from an invasive procedure. If your condition begins to improve considerably after starting your treatments, you’ll want to consult with your physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding the unnecessary surgical procedure.
How will pre-hab affect me?
According to the National Institutes of Health, participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your post-operative outcomes and reduce your recovery time. Because surgery takes such a toll on the human body, it is typically only performed when there are no other options available. When you participate in a pre-surgical rehabilitation plan, you will focus on improving your strength before surgery so your body can heal easier and faster. Essentially, it prepares your body for the procedure and sets you up for a successful surgery.
Our Michigan physical therapists are trained in helping improve range of motion and patterns of movement with targeted stretches and exercises that can be done both before and after surgery. As previously mentioned, pre-surgical rehabilitation programs also help in mental preparation, encouraging an overall sense of well-being beforehand. In general, pre-hab treatments assist in improving your physical health and promoting overall wellness before your procedure.
Recover faster with US Rehabilitation & Health Services:
At US Rehabilitation & Health Services, we want you to receive all the benefits of pre-surgical rehabilitation. When you arrive for your initial consultation, our physical therapist will discuss the best possible treatment plan for your specific needs going into surgery. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you are able to regain normal function much quicker after your procedure is complete. Additionally, pre-hab can help prepare you for the treatment plan you will undergo after surgery, by getting you accustomed to that routine.
If you have an upcoming surgery, contact US Rehabilitation & Health Services today at Ferndale, Dearborn, Ypsilanti, Dearborn Heights, and Southfield, MI centers to schedule your consultation with one of our licensed physical therapists. In order to gain the most benefits from pre-hab, it is best to get started as soon as possible. Schedule an appointment at our Michigan physical therapy clinic today to set yourself up for an easier procedure and recovery period. Our pre-surgical rehabilitation services will help you get back to your life faster!